Salon Bandit Could Face Multiple-Century Prison Sentence
Evanston native, Jason Logsdon, 41, was recently charged with four more armed robberies in DuPage County. Those charges are in addition to several Cook County ones, five of which stem from Lincoln Park and Wicker Park.
An Evanston man already charged in 11 business and hair salon robberies—four of which were in Lincoln Park and one, in Wicker Park—was accused Friday of even more hold-ups.
Jason Logsdon, 41, of the 900 block of Chicago Avenue in Evanston has now been charged with robbing four DuPage County businesses. They include a Glen Ellyn Great Clips and three businesses in Lombard, according to DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert Berlin.
He was charged with four counts of armed robbery, each a Class X Felony punishable by up to 30 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections. The law allows for the sentences to be served consecutively, making it possible that Logsdon could serve a maximum sentence of 120 years if convicted of those four counts alone.
WGN is reporting that Logsdon executed the robberies to support his cocaine and crack habit. The news outlet attributed the information to an unknown source.
Logsdon was arrested following his latest alleged robbery on the morning of Feb. 4, when police say his target was a Great Clips in Wicker Park at 1238 N. Ashland Ave. A stylist at that salon was able to get Logsdon's plate number, police have said, as well as a description of the vehicle.
“At 6:18 p.m. on Feb. 4—just over 7 hours after [the Wicker Park robbery]—Logsdon was located in the 200 block of West Lake Street in Elmhurst and was arrested at that time,” Skokie police Cmdr. Brian Baker said last week. “During the 41 days that this pattern has occurred, 15 armed robberies were committed in eight jurisdictions in two counties.”
Officials said in a news release that Logsdon would enter the business somewhat disguised and armed with a pellet gun. He would point the gun at an employee and demand money, they say.
“Mr. Logsdon’s alleged crime spree knew no boundaries,” Berlin said in the release. “He allegedly went where he thought the easy money would be. This case is a perfect example of how, by working together and pooling our information and resources, law enforcement agencies can arrest and hold responsible those who commit crimes in multiple jurisdictions."
The DuPage County robberies occurred at the end of December and in early January, police say.
In one such case on Jan. 3, Glen Ellyn cops responded around 11 a.m. to a robbery call at a Great Clips at 692 Roosevelt Road. Employees there told police the man entered the shop, showed a gun and demanded money. He left the store with a small, undisclosed amount of cash and was seen walking east.
In addition to the Glen Ellyn incident, Logsdon is the accused culprit in the following robberies:
- Just before 10 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 26, police say he robbed the Smokers Best on York Road.
- Shortly after 6 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 27, police say he held up the Sport Clips on Roosevelt Road.
- Around 10:40 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 2, he's accused of targeting the Hair Cuttery on Roosevelt Road.
- Cops believe he is responsible, too, for an armed robbery at Great Clips, 6761 Dempster St., on Thursday, Jan. 3.
- Around 5:40 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 29, he reportedly held up a salon in the 1200 block of West Fullerton Avenue.
- At 5 p.m. the next day, Sunday, Dec. 30, cops say he also entered a nearby shop in the 1300 block of West Fullerton Avenue and threatened the salon cashier at gunpoint in exchange for cash.
- On the morning of Monday, Jan. 21 he committed the same crime at Great Clips, 1235 N. Clybourn Ave., police have said.
- At about 9:50 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 29, he reportedly robbed the Great Clips at 1005 W. Webster Ave.
- Police credit Logsdon with a Hair Cuttery robbery on the morning of Wednesday, Jan. 23, at 118 Broadview Square.
- Around 8:40 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 28, police say Logsdon entered a hair salon in the 5600 block of Touhy Avenue and committed a robbery.
- He's also charged in a Monday, Jan. 14 armed robbery at a Hair Cuttery in the 8300 block of Golf Road.
- Officers say Logsdon is to blame for a noon robbery at Supercuts, 3539 Dempster St., on Thursday, Jan. 10.
- Similarly, he is accused in a Thursday, Dec. 27, robbery around 10:30 a.m. at the Hair Cuttery in Fashion Square Shopping Mall, 9442 Skokie Boulevard.
- The last armed robbery he's accused of was on the morning of Monday, Feb. 4 at Great Clips, at 1238 N. Ashland Ave.