Beyond October! Free Mammograms for Women in Need at Chicago-Area Hospitals
500 free mammograms are being offered in November to address women in need and acknowledge that breast cancer assistance should extend beyond the month set aside to raise awareness.
The Chicago Breast Cancer Task Force will be providing more than 700 free mammograms to uninsured Chicago-area women next month in an event dubbed “Beyond October.”
The effort, a nod to needs that extend beyond Breast Cancer Awareness Month, wil lhelp address the gap between those who should receive regular screenings and those who can afford to do so.
Chicago has the lowest screening rate in the country for women who are covered by Medicare, according to the organization.
Anne Marie Murphy, executive director of The Metropolitan Chicago Breast Cancer Task Force, said the state program that provides free mammogram screenings to uninsured women currently covers a fraction of those in dire need of these services, which leads to long waiting lists.
Several hospitalsin Chicago and the suburbs are offering the free mammograms in November.
The kickoff for Beyond October! will take place on Nov. 1, 2012 at St. Benedict the African East Parish, 6550 S. Harvard in the Englewood community on the South Side, from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m.
Women will be able to start signing up for free mammograms at the kickoff event and throughout the month of November by calling the Task Force’s office at (312) 942-1899.
The Beyond October! initiative will conclude on Dec. 1, 2012, with a celebration event at the National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W. 19th St., Chicago, IL 60608, from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m.
The hospitals providing free mammograms include:
- Rush University Medical Center: 200
- University of Chicago: 200
- St. Bernard Hospital: 150 to Screen to Live
- Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood: 100
- Roseland Hospital: 100
- University of Illinois Hospital and Health System: 100
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village: 50
- Rush Oak Park Hospital in Oak Park: 50
- Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn: 35
- Advocate South Suburban Hospital in Hazel Crest: 15
- Northwestern Memorial: through partners